SSS = Super Star Success

After much change in these past few months, I've learned a bit about myself.

1. I have a dairy allergy = migraines / headaches
2. I seem to have a gluten intolerance, but eat it in moderation = digestive issues
3. Its been easier than I expected to make these changes!
4. I forgot how much I love to workout!
5. I've gotten sucked up in the "sugar vacuum." And desperately need to find my way out. :\

So, I try to go easy on the gluten, zero dairy, and I'm trying to cut soy out of my diet too. I've been reading that it interferes with your endocrine system when trying to conceive, and we all know that's been a 9 month uphill battle! All this to cleanse the temple. My weight is still way higher than I'm comfortable with, but its safe to say that I'm making strides towards change. I decided to embark on a 40 session weight training bonanza. This also includes 26 cardio sessions. It all happen to fall inline with the buffmother.com SSS contest, so more positive reinforcement, what more could I ask for!? This is basically a 10 week contest to try and get into the best shape ever - prizes for winners permitting. It will be a push, but I'm pretty confident about it. I still need to take some "before" photos, which I don't love, because they sort of depress me. But I know later, I will be glad that I did.

Here are 3 things, that I've been asked to journal about...

1- When were you at your peak physical condition?
Do you remember how great you felt both mentally and physically?

Answer:
My peak physical condition occurred about 6 years ago. When I was about 26. I was about 30lbs lighter than what I weigh now, and my muscle tone was definitely visible. I was more thin than muscular, but I felt so great. It was the first time in my life that I was ever able to fit into a size 1 in jeans. I was a svelt 110 - 114 lbs. I miss those days. Mentally...it was something of a battle, I had family members (I'm from an Italian family) hollering about how I'd gotten too thin. I had friends, worried that I had some sort of eating disorder. But actually I was in the best shape of my life! I could've eaten better, I pretty much ate very little, because of my living circumstances..But emotionally / mentally, I was sort of cornered into thinking that something was wrong with me. It was my husband (then boyfriend) that was my cheerleader. It was with his help that I devised a workout / diet plan. I weight trained religiously about three days a week. I did cardio 2-3 times / week. That was when I discovered my love for running. I've fallen off the boat, and I think now, I can see why.


2- What do you have to change about your current habits to attain results like that again?

Answer:
First and foremost, I need to change how I deal with stress. I also need to stop relying on sugar and crappy food for quick fixes and emotional outlets. I've devised a weight training / cardio plan that I've already started implementing. It's nice to be over the hump of extreme soreness (after not having worked out for so long - with such intensity) I still get sore, but its a good sore. Now I'm actually looking forward to my visits to the gym. I love running, so the trail is always beckoning to me. :)

I seem to take out my stress on myself, and its really starting to show. I've had to stash away all my small clothes, buy bigger clothes, get off the pill and try to plan a pregnancy...which we all know is just a disaster waiting to happen, - given my current state of mind, unless I get into better shape soon. (Coincidentally, the pill I was on had a diuretic in it, similar to caffeine, which I've also given up) So I think I'm carrying around a bit more water weight than normal. Perhaps, I should start focusing on bringing small snacks, and comfortable shoes to take a walk when things get too hectic around here. I could sit on an stability ball, and take quick mini-breaks. Also, I need to get rid of all my change so I don't raid the break room vending machine, when I have a chocolate fit. (I don't eat artificial sweetners either) so the only sugar I plan to have is the natural kind that is already in fruit. I will need to blog more, to find an actual vent for my frustrations... And of course start journaling my workouts / diet.

I think the turning point for me was just this week, when I sat down and looked at my quads. Which, I've hated doing these past few years, because I haven't been able to see past the cellulite. But just this week, I felt a little bump in my quad, just above my knee. It wasn't huge, but it was my muscle just starting to peek through. (I've been weight training for a few weeks, so I'm cheating a little on the SSS.)This tiny little bump made me soar! I couldn't believe I could actually "feel" the fruits of my labor! After all these lunges, squats, leg extensions, "something" was showing!

3- What is your #1 goal for the next 10 weeks? What are the "solutions" you must
stay focused upon in order to attain that goal?

Answer:
My goal for the next 10 weeks is going to be consistency, and discipline. To not only commit to my plan, but be accountable for all my actions. I am going to dig deeper than I ever have to find that fine balance between discipline and restraint. I will still continue trying to conceive, but will put less emphasis on it. (I need to take the mania out of baby-making). My solution will be to come to work equipped with healthy food and snacks, and have my fitness gear (shoes, etc) already packed in my trunk for after work sessions. (This I already do - religiously!) And try to stay in the right frame of mind. Rome wasn't built in a day, so I can't expect perfection in just a few short weeks. I should expect progress, and a good foundational platform.

My plan B, for (if) we get preggers, will be to continue on with the healthy eating / workouts. I want to try and workout throughout my pregnancy for as long as I can, of course within reason. So until I physically CAN'T do the workouts anymore, I will keep pushing for as long and hard as I can.

That's the plan, and I'm stickin to it!

Share this post!

Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love all your passion!! Keep that passion alive and you will ROCK the next 10 weeks and reveal the awesome body you had at 26!! WHOOHOO!! let's rock it!!

Stephanie said...

Thank you!Thanks for igniting the spark!! If I am courageous enough, I might actually post some photos :D

Powered By Blogger